Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Cannery

Tonight my friend and I went to probably one of our last dinners at The Cannery Seafood Restaurant. After 39 years on March 27, 2010 this restaurant will close it's doors. The best memory I have of this restaurant is Mother's Day brunch in 2007. My boyfriend and I took his mom and grandmother here for brunch. The menus arrived at our table with their names printed at the top of the menus. They were so impressed that they kept the menus! Our server then also had the chef come out and meet mom and grandma and our server also later served us a surprise dessert place - compliments of the team. So sweet. It's the small little details like this that really made the restaurant work (well aside from the food, of course.)

Again, the details. There was a little boy sitting at the table behind us and one of the server came out with a red balloon for him. 

It's a unique restaurant in that it's located in the Port of Vancouver - inside the secured area. Passing through the security gates is part of the experience of going to The Cannery. Unless you were one of the special ones that were able to take a seaplane tour and then fly into the inlet and come into the restaurant by water.

We were served bread and their lobster oil and balsamic vinegar. I was surprised to find that the bread was cold and the oil not as "lobster-y" as before. The bread wasn't bad but it was cold. Also the server who served us the bread and poured oil and vinegar did so like he was going to just die of boredom... it didn't bother me but I did notice.

We ordered a 1/2 dozen shucked oysters (no alcohol tonight as I have to get up early and run 10km in the morning) and we were served 3 different kinds of oysters - Chef's Creek, Kusshies - both these oysters were creamy and plump and from the Pacific North West. The third oyster from Eastern Canada and forgot the name as we just didn't care for it. We both LOVED the 2 oysters from the Pacific North West.

For the mains we ordered the Salmon Wellington and the BC Sablefish (I love sablefish). Both dishes were amazing

OK I'm really full and I'm REALLY sleepy and now worried that I'm not in bed yet and wondering how the hell I'm going get up early enough to do a this run
Dist: 10 km, inc
Warm; 5 km @ 6:02; Cool

Can I split it in two? Can I do some of the running in the morning and some in at lunch??? OK I really have to go to bed now. I will try to write about the mains tomorrow. 

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me i should go to cannery again. I went for Father's day and it was very busy and expensive. My dad complained about the price all the way home. so yeah next time i'll have to go with somebody who'll appreciate it more. I dont' think what i ordered was very memorable, but i would love to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take my parents out for the same reason. I have to bring all my knives and cooking gear over to their house so that they don't have to know the price. Only that their good daughter DID slave over the meal... sigh.

    ReplyDelete