Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rainy day spicy pumpkin coconut soup

This long weekend was pretty cold and wet out, I was sick and had lots of spare time so I puttered around the kitchen, opened and closed the fridge door a few times, hoping to see something I didn't before each time. I did the same thing to the cupboards. I found a tin of organic pumpkin and coconut milk. SOUP. Soup is what I'll make with my spare time. A spicy, pumpking coconut soup.

14oz can organic pumpkin
13oz can coconut milk

1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves, garlic minced
some fennel
some cinammon
some coriander
some cumin
some galengal
lots of ginger
some chilli pepper flakes
1 cube veggie bouillon
2 tsp sugar
2 cups of black tea - I happen to be drinking tea so I used my tea... you can use water
oil

Sorry about the measurements for the dry ingredients. I don't really measure when I cook.

In the pot you want to cook the soup in, drizzle pot with oil, heat. Throw in the onions and cook for a few minutes and then the garlic.

Cook for about 5 minutes and then toss in the dry (minus the sugar and veggie bouillon cube) of the ingredients. Add more oil if it becomes too dry. I like to heat all the dry ingredients with the oil to bring out the fragrance. Cook on low for another 5 minutes, making sure not to burn the spices.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Let simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Altogether this took about 20 minutes to make! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment