Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rest day...

Today is my rest day according to my training schedule. My original plan was to ignore that completely and go for my morning run anyway or go to the gym and do some weights. I don't mind running before sunrise, it's really nice to either get home just before sunrise or stay out, keep running AND watch the sunrise. Anyway....

How yesterday forced me to rest today. It kind of went like this...

My boyfriend and I were going to go to Sushi Maki on Hornby. I used to go there ALL the time because my friend had her office in the old BC Hydro building, the Electra (you can see it's corporate colours in building tiles) there and I did freelance work for her. When we worked on projects we would go eat there almost everyday. I even became friends with the original owner, Ken and he just made really really good sushi... going there almost everyday, how could he not? Right??? Ken sold this business opened up a new business on Commercial Dr. now and I hardly ever leave the downtown area....

ANYWAAAAY, I had heels on which I forgot to change out of after work and didn't want to walk up to Sushi Maki. We were already on a street where there are THREE sushi restaurants in a row. The one I wanted to go to, Sushi Spot #1, was PACKED! And for good reason - pretty good food for a good price. I felt the shakes coming on... My blood sugar was dropping. I wanted to avoid the even stronger shakes to come, the sweating, confusion and clumsiness I opted out of waiting in line. Even though I knew Sushi Spot #1 was pretty good. We walked up the street to check out the others.

Sushi Spot #2 had a few people in there but we walked on to check out the other one further up. Sushi Spot #3 was empty... hmmmm... it's probably best to go to Sushi Spot #2.

Or so I thought.

Service was meh, my boyfriend got his food first, he even got his tempura next. I got my miso soup but that came first thing right after tea only because it's easy to make. I used to work in a Japanese restaurant and if you are expecting a busy night you just stack the clean miso bowls up, each bowl with a few cubes of tofu, few dried pieces of wakami and a sprinkle of chopped up green onion and you ladle the the hot miso soup into each bowl as needed. I sat there for 30 minutes waiting for a chicken teriyaki bento box. My boyfriend was trying to eat in slow-motion so that he wouldn't finish before I got my food. Boy, was I starting to get shakey and agitated. I was HUNGRY. My little bento box finally came. I ate it. I left..

I got food poisoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment