Monday, November 5, 2012

Running in Barcelona

For our first honeymoon stop in the Catalonian capital of Barcelona, I booked a private Old Town Tour with Running Tours Barcelona. This was the sunrise that greeted me on run tour day. Wow! What a great run this was going to be!!

Sunrise in Montjuic, Barcelona
And here's Robin, my run tour guide who's also a professional run coach.

Robin, Running Tours Barcelona
Here are a few places we visited on our run:

We went to see El Gato - I like this chubby cat! It think it's great. (Sorry for the blurry photo) This well-fed gatto is a sculpture by Columbian artist Federico Botero. I love his style - all his subjects are chubby and round. This chubby Gato has been moved around a lot - seems that nobody wants or likes this poor kitty. He currently stands at la Rambla del Raval. El Raval is supposed to be a dodgy neighbourhood. But I didn't find anything dodgy about it even on a later visit to the neighbourhood with my husband. I found the neighbourhood to be very multicultural and vibrant with a little bit of edge.


La Rambla, is a pedestrian mall that is usually packed with tourists. Since we were up early only some shopkeepers were out. We stopped at Mercat de la Boqueria which is typically packed shoulder-to-shoulder full of tourists. This morning I got to experience the market like this! Just a few locals and shopkeepers. Robin also showed me other markets that locals go to and are less touristy.
Mercat de la Boqueria
Whoa! Where else do you get to walk over or in my case, run over a piece of art by a famous artist? Here, we are standing at Joan Miro's signature on his mosaic. He is the most interesting artist! When I was a kid I had a notebook decorated with Miro's signature and symbols from his art. So when we came across his mosaic was really special.
Running over a mosaic by Catalan artist Joan Miro
We continued along La Rambla and then ducked down a side street and into Plaça Reial. Situated in the square are 4 lamposts designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi. As theses lamp posts were some of Gaudi's first commisioned works, they do not display typical curvy and organic Gaudi traits such as Familia Sagrada, Casa Milá, or Parc Guell. The lamposts are adorned with the helmet of the god of mercury and two snakes symbolizing trade and commerce.
Lamp post designed by Antoni Gaudi
From Plaça Reial we ran on to Barri Gotic, El Born, Barceloneta Beach... you can check out the tour map here.

We ran through El Raval again to return to my hotel. We stopped in front of the building where the vampire of Barcelona used to live. Enriqueta Marti, who ran a brothel and kidnapped children! Read about her, you'll see why they called the vampire. Gruesome!

I had signed up for a nice 10k with Robin but I enjoyed the run so much we ended running 15km! Really though, I could have run with Robin all day, he made the running tour so, so enjoyable. If you travel to Barcelona, I highly recommend booking a sight running tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment