Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pre-race routine

TWO days to BMO Vancouver Marathon!!! I'm nervous and excited. Butterflies are fluttering in my tummy.

The chatter in my head: Do I have enough gels? How many gels should I bring? How many Fuel Belt bottles should I carry? 2 or 3? Should I get a new fuelbelt? Should I wear my jacket? Which shoes should I wear? Not the grey/purple Nike Frees, I like the orange ones... oh but I've been having really good runs in my red ones... but the orange pair will be so jealous! Oh and will I need anti-chafing balm? Chafing?!? Ack! And the weather! It's been cold for most of my training and now it's going to be 15°, that's going to feel like summer! Will I be able to sleep... it goes on and on...

Race-kit: Pick up race-kit with Monique.

Dinner: Most runners will do a carbo-licious dinner while I like to do a large carbo-licious rice pasta lunch and have a lighter dinner.

Breakfast: Gluten-free toast, almond butter and jam and granola with almond milk.



What to wear: Hat, gloves, Nike Frees, tanktop, lululemon speed shorts, Fuel belt, sunglasses and favourite socks, maybe arm warmers.
I typically lay my run clothes and gear out on the floor the night before like a child would the night before the first day of school. Above is what I wore for the 2010 Nike Women's San Francisco Marathon. Those are my little blue BMO gloves!!!

I also pack a backpack with a big towel, change of clothes and jacket that I give to my fiance to meet me with after the race.

Hydration: 2 or 3 Fuel Belt bottles, 2 bottles with water and Nuun, 1 bottle with plain water.

Energy: 2 or 3 energy gels. I know a runner who is bringing 8. This makes me nervous. Am I bringing enough?

Visualization: Like skiing, I always see myself going forward and succeeding. Running with a smile and crossing the finish line. If I can I run, bike or drive the run course to help with the visualization.

Words: Back straight, shoulders loose, head up, look ahead. One foot in front of the other. Breakfast!

Imagination: Sometimes I tell myself stories while running. There's a wolf chasing me or if I don't get to the next mile marker fast enough the road beneath will crumble and I'll fall into an abyss... or worse, I don't get the big breakfast I want if I don't get to the finish on time!

In the race corral: Line up at the loo, go and line up again, repeat. Jog on the spot.

Smile: I like to enjoy my run and a smile always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment